Keep Results Empty Until User Searches

Scenario: When you navigate to a custom search page, the Search Results web part is already populated even though you haven't searched for anything yet. You want the Search Results web part to remain empty until a user searches for something. Solution: Wrap the query template. {?{searchboxquery}} 1. Edit the page 2. Edit the Search … Continue reading Keep Results Empty Until User Searches

Copy Missing Objects From One Content Database to Another

I recently applied a cumulative update to a SharePoint environment that hadn't been patched in years. When I tried to upgrade the main production content database, the process failed and rendered the site inaccessible. The errors logs mentioned invalid objects such as "Webs" and "Sites", and upon further troubleshooting we learned that because of permission … Continue reading Copy Missing Objects From One Content Database to Another

Custom XSL Web Part Error – Access Denied

Scenario: I created a custom XSL style sheet for a library web part that would intermittently throw an error for everyone except the admin account (me). Every morning users were complaining about an error on the web part. I would sign in and try to replicate, but it always worked for me. Then when I'd … Continue reading Custom XSL Web Part Error – Access Denied

Chart Web Part – SharePoint 2013

In SharePoint 2010, there was a Chart Web Part that you could connect to another web part on the same page, to a list anywhere in the site collection, to an external content type, or to data from an Excel workbook. In SharePoint 2013, this does not exist OOB. However, if you copy and paste this code … Continue reading Chart Web Part – SharePoint 2013

Working Around Low Disk Space During A Full Crawl

TIL that space is released when you pause a crawl! Backstory: We decided to re-index our SharePoint site due to spotty search results, and learned the hard way that we didn't have enough space to run a full crawl. Adding space wasn't an option and I had to get the search working again or else face … Continue reading Working Around Low Disk Space During A Full Crawl

Recent Crawl/Query Rates Incorrectly Show 0.00 Items Per Second

Problem: "Recent crawl rate" and "Recent query rate" statistics incorrectly show 0.00 items per second on the Search Administration page. Confirmed the crawl rate from the Crawl Health Reports page. Confirmed that the number of searchable items was increasing. Found a TON of update conflict errors (event ID 6398 and 6482) in the Application event … Continue reading Recent Crawl/Query Rates Incorrectly Show 0.00 Items Per Second